Nowadays, the Pakistani government is taking action against illegally brought mobiles or smuggled mobiles. For that the government is asking citizens to complete their PTA mobile registration process, else PTA would block their mobiles. Indeed this is a very good initiative however many people still get confused about how to register their devices with PTA.
If you receive a text SMS from shortcode ‘8484’, from PTA (Pakistan Telecommunication Authority), you need to register your cellular devices before the given time period. If you fail to do so before the deadline, PTA has complete authority to block your devices. This is because of PTA mobile registration rules that have made it necessary for every citizen of Pakistan.
Do you Know What DIRBS is?
The Device Identification, Registration, and Blocking System (DIRBS) is a confirmation platform of PTA for the PTA mobile registration process. According to the PTA, you should register all SIM-based devices like mobile phones, tablets, and other different devices, including all brands of the phone. Otherwise, PTA can disable your device.
What is the IMEI Number?
IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a number, usually unique to identify your mobile phone similar to a vehicle identification number. If blocked you can’t use your cellular device to access any mobile network in Pakistan and your phone won’t be able to make any contact through your device.
How to Check IMEI Number?
There are three ways to check your cellphone’s IMEI number:
- Dial *#06# on your device
- Go to ‘Settings‘ and ‘About Phone‘ section of your device. You will also see it there
- If your phone has a removable battery, remove back cover and battery then find the IMEI number
Procedure For PTA Mobile Registration Online
Here is how you can do it:
Method 1: Via PTA Website
- Go to https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/
- Enter your 15 digits IMEI Number in the required field and check
Method 2: Via PTA Mobile Application
- Download the PTA app from Play Store by clicking here
- Install the App on your device, open the App when installed, and then follow the simple instructions to enter your IMEI Number
What Should I Do if My Device is Already Blocked?
In case, if your device is already blocked, follow these steps:
- Go to https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/drs to open Device Registration Portal
- Sign up if you don’t have an account
- You have to Select the purpose and User Type(local Pakistani or Foreigner)
Selecting User Type
In order to select User Type: local(Pakistani) or foreigner on the following basis:
- If you are International Traveller / having Dual Nationality and you have traveled on Pakistani Passport please select User Type as Pakistani (Local / International Traveller / Dual Nationality Holder)
- If you are International Traveller / having Dual Nationality and you traveled on Foreign Passport or having Foreign Nationality please select User Type as Foreigner (Travelled on Visa)
- For international travelers who entered on their PAKISTANI passport / Foreigner passport. Please register your device with that particular passport number within 60 days from the date of arrival
Now, Continue with the Process
- Fill the other fields including name, phone, email, postal address, and passport number
- Now click on the signup button. You will get a confirmation email with a link
- By clicking on the link again login window having email and password will appear
- Add your details and log in
- By logging in, you will be directed to the declaration window
- Click on the Individual COC on the left corner. Then you will see two options: Apply for COC and My applications. Then click on Apply for COC
- Now you will go to the IMEI window where you have to enter the phone number and IMEI of your device
- Now you will get an SMS on the mobile number that you have entered. The text that you would receive will show a procedure if the tax to be paid or not
- You have done now
Keep that in your mind that you have to pay all applicable duty/tax which can be assessed by FBR/Custom officials. After you pay the tax, PTA will register your device within 24 hours.
According to the PTA, the use of illegal or smuggled mobile devices in Pakistan has witnessed a decrease after the introduction of PTA DIRBS. According to sources, importers brought almost 7.64 million smartphones through legal ways in the first 11 months of 2019 (until November 30), whereas the number was reported as 7.24 million in 2018.
That’s why people have to pay the tax register their PTA mobile registration before the device blocks. Paying taxes is though everyone’s least favorite government link activity. But taxing citizens is one of the important measures for a stable state. Therefore you must register your devices.